Poet and Painter
News, Autumn 2019
- September 2019: exhibition of Recent Portraits
at Tess Harris’s gallery, High Street, Wheatley, Oxford, UK.
- September 2019: several poems featured in a collaboration with American mixed media artist Melissa Rubin in her exhibition Night Visions at the Atlantic Gallery, 547 West 27th Street, New York (3rd -21st September 2019). Reviewed by Carol Taylor-Kearney: https://www.whatsartblog.com/single-post/2019/09/12/Glimpses-of-the-Night
- August 2019: Frogmore Poetry Prize: First Prize. My winning poem, Our District, will be published in the Frogmore Papers in September 2019. Adjudicator John O’Donoghue commented: ‘I have read the poem over and over and find new depths and meaning in it every time. There was no poem quite like ‘Our District’ in the great sheaf of poems I read.’
- August 2019: an exhibition of smaller paintings at Stanton St John, Oxford, UK.
- Recently published poems: To John Keats, Spectator magazine, 7th September 2019.
I was born in London and live with my family in Oxford. I’m a published poet and novelist and also a painter. Recently I was appointed a member of Oxford Art Society. I trained as a classicist at Trinity Hall, Cambridge, where I focused on textual criticism and Greek lyric poetry of the sixth century BC. My first novel, The Latecomer (Random House), won a Betty Trask Award. In 2014 I was a runner up in the Cardiff International Poetry Prize (judged by Lem Sissay); in 2019 I won the Frogmore poetry prize. I have been listed or commended in numerous other poetry competitions.
Poetry collection: (in response to a question) I have a growing collection of poems, published and unpublished, but so far have not investigated publishing a collection.